Bionic Reading

Boy and Mum Plunged to Death off Stena Ferry in Possible Murder-Suicide

Authorities are conducting an investigation into the tragic deaths of a 7-year-old boy and his mother, treating it as a possible murder-suicide after they fell from a ferry in the Baltic Sea, raising questions about the initial rescue attempt.

In a deeply distressing incident, authorities are currently investigating the tragic deaths of a 7-year-old boy and his mother, Paulina, who plunged from a ferry into the Baltic Sea. This incident, initially believed to be a rescue attempt gone wrong, is now being treated as a possible murder-suicide by the police.

The heart-wrenching incident took place during a Stena Line ship crossing from Sweden to Poland, where the Polish nationals were traveling. Witnesses have come forward with new details, revealing that the young boy, named Lech, was in a wheelchair when he fell over the edge. Strikingly, the ship’s CCTV footage does not align with the initial version of events, casting doubt on the theory that the mother jumped in to save her child.

Gdańsk prosecutors are carefully examining the case, considering all possibilities, including the heartbreaking notion of a murder-suicide. Grażyna Wawryniuk, a spokesperson for the prosecutors, has confirmed this investigation. The tragic incident has left everyone stunned and deeply saddened.

Experts familiar with rescue operations, like Michal Mieczkowski, a Polish rescue expert, have expressed concerns about the accidental fall theory. According to Mr. Mieczkowski, the ship’s railings are at a height that would make an accidental fall nearly impossible. He suggested the possibility of the child climbing and losing balance due to the ship’s movement or, tragically, even considering suicide.

Swift action was taken when the alarm was raised, with ships and helicopters from Sweden and NATO units joining the search and rescue efforts. Despite their best efforts, both Paulina and Lech were found in the freezing waters approximately an hour later. Tragically, they were pronounced dead upon arrival at Sweden’s Karlskrona Hospital, leaving the community devastated.

Swedish prosecutors have launched a preliminary investigation into the possibility of a murder, although no suspect has been identified at this time. The authorities are committed to uncovering the truth behind this heartrending incident that has left family, friends, and the community in shock.

This tragic event serves as a stark reminder of the fragility of life and the importance of supporting one another. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the grieving family, friends, and loved ones during this difficult time.